Saturday, July 14, 2007

41:36

Blogging live from the Indy500 mini-marathon...

I've trained hard for this race. I've been tapering for the past 6 months or so and carb-loading for at least as long.

I just finished the 5K in near (personal) record time. I must admit I walked about half of it--which helped my time--my walking pace is a good deal faster than my running pace.

The best part of the whole deal is all the free stuff you get at the end: apples, bananas, Snickers, subway meal, potato chips, cookies... just enough to undo any health benefits I may have accrued from training and running(/walking) this thing.

The great thing about going out to big public events like this is that I get to see and meet many of my readers and supporters. I've run into at least 4! And who knows how many others of you are out here, to shy or embarrassed to introduce yourself to me.

Congratulations to all who raced and finished!


Originally Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2007
(Then) Curent Mood: spent
http://blog.myspace.com/yajeev

2 comments:

yajeev said...

A little more context for this post.

At this Indy500 festival, there were dozens of sponsor tents pitched throughout the park. After the race, I was wandering around, free stuff in tow, and happened upon the Saturn tent, where they are supposed to be giving away a car.

They had three computers with internet connectivity set up for racers to browse their website. Of course, I seized upon the opportunity to communicate with my public--hence, the above post.

Next to me, however, were three small children, probably aged 10 or 12 years. They used the Saturn computers to look up cartoons on YouTube, which grabbed the attention of the Saturn tent attendant. She marched over to their computer, asked the children, "So, are learning a lot from Saturn.com?", commandeered the mouse, and ended their internet session.

I knew from that point, since I was not navigating the corporate website, that I was under real time pressure and blogged at near record pace. She turned towards me. It was a race. I put the finishing touches on my entry, proofread, and posted, as she approached. When she reached the computer station, I closed the internet viewing window and walked away.

A close call indeed.

Posted by VJ on Saturday, May 05, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Anonymous said...

Courage is blogging under pressure. And congrats.

Posted by Russ on Sunday, May 06, 2007 at 12:58 PM