Saturday, July 14, 2007

Keeping us safe

As my folks were preparing for a recent flight to Charlotte, they walked through the airport metal detector. My parents noticed on the x-ray screen that they had accidentally left a large pair of scissors in their carry-on bag. My dad volunteered to remove the scissors and leave them behind, but the airport security officer assured them that the scissors were within acceptable travel code-- the blades were less than six inches long. This was troubling to my dad, who almost refused to get on the plane, knowing that a bad guy could get on the plane with scissors, as long as the blades were less than six inches long!

Not long after this, my mother-in-law flew from Indianapolis to Orlando for Thanksgiving, bringing with her Thanksgiving dinner. As she walked through the metal detector, the security officer stopped her and searched her carry-on luggage. The turkey and mashed-potatoes passed inspection, but the green bean casserole, weapon of choice for would-be ne'er-do-well's (like my mother-in-law) was quickly confiscated (and probably devoured).

As an experiment, the next time I fly, I'm going to prepare and carry-on a scissors casserole. The blades will be less than six inches long, and I will top it off with those delicious dry onion ring crisps.


Originally Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2007
(Then) Curent Mood: curious
http://blog.myspace.com/yajeev

No comments: