Saturday, July 14, 2007

Warning: This could happen to you

My blog serves many purposes... one of which is to pass on nuggets of wisdom I have found over the course of my few years on this earth... most of which I have learned through the course of my own folly. What follows is no exception.

If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be this: Don't grocery shop while hungry. In my own depraved logic, I believed that this was in fact a good idea-- that my hunger would somehow more clearly guide me to those food items my body really needed. This turned out not to be the case.

I entered our local Giant Eagle on a post-vacation 'emergency grocery run,' with a very limited shopping list of the bare essentials: milk, carrots, apples, orange juice. I left with a somewhat larger collection of edibles: skim milk; baby-cut carrots; 3 red delicious apples; chocolate milk (low-fat); diet black cherry vanilla coke; ice cream sandwiches; chicken, broccoli, and cheese lean pockets; chocolate and peanut butter Chex mix (small bag); cheddar Chex mix (large bag); garden salsa Sun Chips; everything bagel chips; garlic bagel chips; lite Caesar salad mix; peach fruit bowls; low-fat Oreos; low-fat yogurt; and chocolate and vanilla cupcakes (3 of each). It all looked so good, and I was just so hungry.

I forgot the orange juice.

I am passing this on to my readers. I wish someone had passed this advice on to me: Don't shop on an empty stomach.



Originally Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2006
(Then) Curent Mood: satiated
http://blog.myspace.com/yajeev

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was almost hungry when I read your blog. This has pushed me over the edge.

Posted by Russ on Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM